DNA and Protein Database Statistics

Littlejohn Tim little at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Mon Sep 13 22:13:28 EST 1993

MJA12046%USA.decnet at USAV01.GLAXO.COM ("USA::MJA12046") writes:

>Is there a file, in Gopherspace or wherever, that keeps the statistics
>of DNA and Protein Databases with regard to species?  It would be interesting
>to know what percentage of the E. coli genome has been sequenced, what
>percent of Genbank is human DNA, etc.

This is a good question- what is the answer, though?  In the excellent
discussion document "Meeting Report" from the "DOE Informatics Summit",
in the "Types of Community Database Users" section it states:

   * It is an embarrassment to the Human Genome Project that   *
   * we still cannot easily answer simple questions such as,   *
   * "How many genes on the long arm of chromosome 21 have     *
   * been sequenced?"                                          *

Any specific suggestions on how we can be less embarrassed sooner
rather than later?

Tim

E-mail:     little at ere.umontreal.ca         Tim Littlejohn
            tim at bch.umontreal.ca

Snail Mail: Departement de biochimie        Phone: (514) 343-6111, x5149
            Universite de Montreal          Fax:   (514) 343-2210
            C.P. 6128, succursale A,
            Montreal (Quebec), H3C 3J7
            CANADA