NA ftp site (Re: ANNOUNCING SRS release 3.1)

Charles Bailey bailey at hmivax.humgen.upenn.edu
Tue Sep 14 17:19:16 EST 1993

In article <1993Sep14.121255.115508 at embl-heidelberg.de>, etzold at embl-heidelberg.de writes:

> ANNOUNCEMENT
>
>   Release 3.1 of SRS (Sequence Retrieval System) is now available to anyone
>   inside the academic scientific community free of charge. Commercial
>   organizations should contact the author (for addresses and contact please see
>   the CONTACT section of this document).
>
> [text deleted]
>

>  DISTRIBUTION

In order to minimize aggravation and load on transatlantic links, sites in the
Americas can also ftp SRS 3.1 from genetics.upenn.edu (IP 128.91.200.37), in
the directory Anon_Root:[Bio.SRS].  The contents of the files are identical to
those on the European servers, but the names have been changed to accomodate
our ftp server.

                            --- For Unix users ---
The compressed tarfile has been renamed srs31_unix.tar_z, but is in all
respects identical to the file srs3_1.tar.Z on ftp.embl-heidelberg.de.

In order to retrieve SRS, use the following procedure:
1. ftp genetics.upenn.edu
2. login as user anonymous, give email address as password
3. cd bio/srs
4. binary
5. get srs31_unix.tar_z srs31_unix.tar.Z
6. bye
7. uncompress and untar the file

                            --- For VMS users ---
The SRS files have been repackaged into a ZIP archive, in order to save space
and transfer time (~1000 blocks vs. ~5000 for the Backup saveset), and to
simplify insertion of corrected files in the future.  The contents are
identical in all respects to the Backup saveset available on biomed.uio.no.
The ZIP archive should be expanded using UnZip for VMS 5.0 or greater to retain
VMS file attrubutes; this tool is also available for anonymous ftp here as
Anon_Root:[Util.VMS.Archive]UnZip.Exe.

In order to retrieve SRS, use the following procedure:
1. ftp genetics.upenn.edu
2. login as user anonymous, give email address as password
3. cd bio/srs or cd [.bio.srs], whichever syntax your ftp client likes
4. Wollongong and Multinet clients can use VMS transfer mode, others should
   select binary mode.
5. get srs31_vms.zip
6. bye
7. Unzip srs31_vms

Once I get some time, I'll also get together a set of mods to the SDL sources
which allow you to use GenBank as your primary nucleic acid sequence database
instead of EMBL, and I'll post a notice here when these are available.

If you have any questions or problems, please let me know via email to
bailey at genetics.upenn.edu.

                    Regards,
                    Charles Bailey

!             Dept. of Genetics / Howard Hughes Medical Institute
! University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine  Rm. 430 Clinical Research Bldg.
!     422 Curie Blvd.  Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA      Tel. (215) 898-1699
!          Internet: bailey at genetics.upenn.edu  (IN 128.91.200.37)