NCBI BLAST Output filters

Warren Gish gish at host.nlm.nih.gov
Wed Sep 15 13:52:10 EST 1993

In article <little.748034832 at alize.ERE.UMontreal.CA> little at ERE.UMontreal.CA (Littlejohn Tim) writes:
>Hi,
>
>has anyone written any parsers for UNIX (shell scripts or C)
>to filter the output of BLAST so that the following information
>can be viewed on request:

... stuff deleted ...

As for the current Blast output, we don't consider that it has stabilized since
we're still working on Blast as a research project.  So there is the danger
that parsing software could break.  However, over the next several months,
we're developing new versions of Blast that are specifically designed to
produce stable, structured output in a precisely defined format.  These Blast
programs will be incorporated in the NCBI Dispatcher system to create a Blast
network service.  We currently have an alpha-test version of an MS-Windows GUI
client for BLASTP searching through this system; a Macintosh client is being
developed in parallel.  When the Blast network service is ready for public
access, an announcement will be posted here (among other places).

Warren Gish & Greg Schuler
NCBI/NLM