SGI--->MAC **SUMMARY** Attempt #2 =)

Darren Nickerson nickerson at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Mon Sep 20 02:12:25 EST 1993

       Thanks to all the kind people who took the time to help me get started
on transferring PICT and GIF images (generated in Quanta) onto my MAC.  The
slides we are able to produce now are really quite impressive, and I recommend
this method over standard "photo mode" conventional photographs.  Basically,
the steps are as follows:

1. Use an IRIX screen capture utility such as snaphot to create a filename.rgb
file which is in an SGI format unreadable when imported directly to a MAC.
2. Convert this filename.rgb file to a PICT, GIF or TIFF format by using the
tools available from ftp.sgi.com in the /graphics/bin directory.  The tools
are topict.Z togif.Z and totiff.Z.  There is also a tomac.Z which converts to
MacPaint format, but that becomes redundant with the other formats.
3. Transfer the file in the format of your choosing to your MAC using Binary
transfer.
4. Open with your favourite image processing software.
5. Grin in delight at the stunning pictures you can generate!

        For those of you who plan to use this technique in the future, I have
enclosed the originals of the message I have received this weekend.  Thanks go
to:
lwalsh at nemo.life.uiuc.edu (Laura L. Walsh)
zauhar at shiva.PSU.EDU (Dr. Randy Zauhar)
mangalam at uci.edu (Harry Mangalam)
baz at cco.caltech.edu (Bassil Dahiyat)
malhotra at neptune.cmc.uab.edu (Arun Malhotra)
p_travers at omega.lif.icnet.uk (Paul J Travers)
awalters at leland.Stanford.EDU (Andrew John Walters)

for taking the time to help me out, and for just being wonderful in general.
Along the way I discovered a tech report on SUMEX entitled using_sgi_images or
something to that effect. . . Jon Stewart had already compiled the very
information I needed and it was very informative.

Again, for your reading pleasure original replies follow.

Darren

  #	Darren Nickerson		|				   #
  #	Inorg. Chem. Laboratory		|	If the truth can be told   #
  #	University of Oxford		|	 so as to be understood,   #
  #	Oxford, England			| 	   it will be believed.    #
  #	Voice/FAX (0865)271549		|				   #
  #	NICKERSON at MOLBIOL.OX.AC.UK	|				   #

From: lwalsh at nemo.life.uiuc.edu (Laura L. Walsh)

In bionet.software you write:

>	Our lab has recently acquired an SGI for modelling purposes, and I
>have been struggling with the following question.  Is there a way to take a
>"screen-shot" on the Silicon Graphics which I can open on a MAC, preferably
>with minimal loss of resolution?  Would this screenshot be GIF, PICT, TIFF or

>PS?  Anyone doing this routinely?
>Darren

I am working on this now, too.  On the SGI you can take a picture
of the screen using the tool snapshot (Tools menu).  It makes an
rgb file.  There is a utility called tops (think "to PS") that
converts the .rgb file into a .ps file.

That is what I do know.  What I don't know is if the Mac can use
the .ps file directly.
Laura Walsh (lwalsh at nemo.life.uiuc.edu)

Date: Sat, 18 Sep 93 15:32:39 -0400
From: zauhar at shiva.PSU.EDU (Dr. Randy Zauhar)

  Darren,

    I and others here have already had to struggle with this on several
occassions. Most recently, I helped a friend get a screen image (a ray
tracing from Quanta) into a PICT file to be used by University publications
(this was for the cover of a symposium program). The procedure I used was
as follows:
  1) Use the Snapshot function in the window manager toolbox to cut the
     portion of the screen you want, and save it as an rgb file.

  2) Convert the rgb file to PICT format by using the topict function
     provided in /usr/people/4Dgifts/iristools/imgtools (I think I spelled
     everything right). If you didn't perform a "maximal" IRIX install,
     you may have left out this directory, in which case you will have
     to install it from CD or tape.

  3) Transfer the file to your mac. If you have a mac on your local network
     you have it made in the shade. If you have to go through an IBM PC
     (and then transfer to a mac with a superdrive) you may have problems
     getting the binary PICT file transferred to the mac.

 You should then be able to view the PICT file with an appropriate
 graphics program (I used Quark express) PROVIDED that you can get the
 program to recognize the file. Most of the common programs (e.g. Superpaint)
 only "see" graphics files that have the correct resource identifier.
 If you have ResEdit you can easily change the identifier to match whatever
 the program expects to see. (Then hope that the format of the file is EXACTLY
 what the program wants.) One graphics program to check out is the NIH Image
 program, which is free over the net and very nice. I don't have it on my
 new Mac yet, so couldn't check whether or not it will read a PICT file from
 the SGI.

 The first fellow around here to get PICT files on his Mac was Jon Stewart
(in fact he was the one who prompted me to get the image tools working on
the SGI). He wrote up a very nice description of the procedure he finally
used, but I don't have it handy. I am CC:ing this to Jon, and ask him to
kindly send you a copy of his instructions (if he still has them).

  Best of luck,

  Randy Zauhar
  Penn State

Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1993 12:36:58 -0700
From: mangalam at uci.edu (Harry Mangalam)

>PS?  Anyone doing this routinely?

Yup.  Use imsnap (usually an icon of it in your workspace) to grab the
image, save as an rgb or sgi format, convert to whatever you want with
either the image tools from ftp.sgi.com (also usually included with the
machine in the 4Dgifts dir (I think) or use the 'im' tools available from
ftp.sdsc.edu, 'imconv' mostly.  If you want to save the 24 bit depth,
you'll want to convert to tiff files probably; if you want to save space,
use pict.

Need more help, yelp.
Harry

From: baz at cco.caltech.edu (Bassil Dahiyat)
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 93 13:30:35 PDT

Well Darren, I don't do this routinely but I have on occasion
transferred images from my Iris to a Mac.  If you ftp
to sgi.com, there are a bunch binaries in the directory
/graphics/bin called things like to tomac.Z, totiff.Z
and frompic.Z, fromps.Z.  I have a bunch and they all
work.  What you do is use the iris utility imgsnap (or
something like that, I am not sitting in front of the
iris now so I can't remember exactly).  It lets
you capture a picture from your screen in Iris rgb
format, which you then can transfer to a different
format using the utilities from sgi.com.  Then you
transfer the file over to the Mac in your favorite
way (Fetch, Telnet, etc...).  Use your favorite
viewer (I use Pict format stuff like MacDraw).
			Hope this helps,
			Bassil
			baz at mayo.caltech.edu

Date: Sat, 18 Sep 93 20:36:23 -0500
From: Arun Malhotra <malhotra at neptune.cmc.uab.edu>

Use the image tools which come with all SGIs to convert SGI rgb file to pict
files. Type "apropos image" to get a listing of all image tools. If these
tools
are not in your default bin directories, you can find them in
/usr/people/4Dgifts (or something like that). The command you need is "topict"
which will convert a rgb file to pict format. Use ftp to transfer this to
your mac.  SGI tools such as showcase can also be used to save files in pict
or tiff format.

By the way, you can use the command "snapshot" to the SGI to capture part of
the screen as a rgb file. Other variants of this are snap, imgtools (which
allows images to be saved in tiff format), etc.

Good luck

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1993 17:47:11 +0000
From: p_travers at omega.lif.icnet.uk (Paul J Travers)

        Hi, we do this a lot, having a slide maker running on a mac and
using the SGI to produce the pretty piccies.  You can get a program called
topict from various FTP sites (I can't remember them offhand, but an ARCHIE
search will find them for you.) which converts SGI RGB files into PICT
format.  The same site will undoubtedly have the program tomac, which
converts to MacPaint format, but I have not used that one.

        If you don't have archie, drop me an email and I will look up the
site name for you.

                                Paul

From: awalters at leland.Stanford.EDU (Andrew John Walters)
Date: 19 Sep 93 02:42:20 BST

I've just begun dealing with this problem myself.  It is possible, on the
SGI that I work on to convert a screenshot to PICT format.  Using "snapshot"
the screen is saved as a pix (.rgb) file.  You can then use Pixedit to
crop the image down to the size you want.  There is a command "pix2sgi" that
will convert the file to the format necessary to use the command "topict"
which converts the file to a macintosh .pict file.  Transfer this to your
mac in binary mode and load it into a graphics program that recognized PICT
files.  There is also a command "pix2tiff" but not that many mac applications
read this file type.  I can't say how the resolution is, I still need to try
both methods.
        Hope this helps
                        Anj