.....cpt.hqx.gz ??

Chris Upton cupton at sol.uvic.ca
Thu Sep 23 08:32:31 EST 1993

Just to let you know what happened in my quest for a WWW browser for the
Mac.
As is often the case, I had a variety of helpful responses. One pointed to
the fact that NCSA is developing a MAC version of MOSAIC. A query to NCSA
told me that a BETA-1 version was being released yesterday. So I grabbed it
and gave it a whirl.....   it's PRETTY AMAZING!!!! I think you'd need a
fairly fast network connection to be happy with it because of all the
graphics that are flying across teh Internet.
The only problem I found with this version was the documented bug with
macTCP1.X.X, which is apparently cured by APPLE in the MACTCP 2.X upgrade
(I think this maybe another one of Apple's pay-for-system-upgrades.
The info from NCSA said that more versions would be produced rapidly and
that in a week or so there would be a version to the general public

Oh, one other question....  the one in the subject line. I was hunting down
a sound player for the mac (suggested for use with Mosaic) and found
ulaw1.4.cpt.hqx.gz    I know what the X.cpt.hqx   is but I've never come
across X.gz before.  Any ideas?

Thanks again,
           Chris

Chris Upton
Biochem & Microbiol
University of Victoria
Victoria, BC   Canada     These are my views, damn it! Only mine!