Need data processing/plotting tool for SGI with flexible input handling

Georg Fuellen fuellen at athena.mit.edu
Thu Sep 23 20:53:40 EST 1993

Dear Netters,

I need very urgently a cheap ( << 200$ ) or 'free' data processing/plotting tool
(or failing that a shellscript, perl-script, awk-program, ...)

for SGI (IRIX 4.0.5)
(or failing that, MAC Quadra)

which is very flexible in its input processing.

Please read on if you may know something appropiate:

The program should, from an ASCII file containing :

   keyword_1    ......
   keyword_2    x1   ......
   keyword_3    y1,1 ......
   keyword_2    x2   ......
   keyword_3    y1,2 ......
   keyword_2    x3   ......

   keyword_1    ......
   keyword_2    x1 ......
   keyword_3    y2.1 ......
   keyword_2    x2   ......
   keyword_3    y2,2 .....

[ where some y's may be missing, and ...... is some junk ]

produce and preferably plot the following  :

   x1,  mean(y1,1, y2.1, ...        )
   x2,  mean(y2,1, y2.2, ...

with error-bars (mean - standard_dev, mean + standard_dev)

Better if it can do histograms, arbitrary functions, etc
The more flexible the better !

AND IT SHOULD BE INSTALLABLE AND LEARNABLE (as far as needed) IN CA. 1 DAY...

For MAC-people: I need something better than Kaleidagraph, or a way to teach this to it...

Followups are directed to me, I can provide a summary for anyone who is interested.

Georg Fuellen   fuellen at MIT.EDU  *IF* this fails, try fuellen at acm.org, @world.std.com, @ieee.org. One should work.
The transitive closure of all disclaimers made on usenet last year applies to this message.