Mac downloading

Dr. P.L. Taylor ptaylor at crc.ac.uk
Tue Apr 5 04:20:39 EST 1994

>> Yeah, I tried double-clicking, but the finder just tried to open it as
>> a text document (using TeachText or something).  Does this mean something's
>> wrong with the file?

>No, there is nothing wrong with the file. This just means that it is a
>generic text file. By default the Mac asks you if you want to open it with
>TeachText. But, TeachText is mostly good for brief messages since it has a
>32k size limit.

>Go into your favorite word processing program (like Word) or another text
>editor (like Alpha) and open it from within the program...Open the program.
>Select Open from the file menu and navigate through the subsequent menu to
>locate and open you file. And jeez, you don't have to rename it or
>anything...what kinda primitives do you think we are?

No, I think you are missing the point here.  The file is text, but there's
no point trying to read it with a word processor; it will just look like
gibberish apart perhaps from a short comment at the beginning.  The text
contains encoded binary information, and you have to use a program to decode
it.  You will probably find that the file name ends in the extension '.hqx'.
This means that it has been encoded using BinHex, and you will need BinHex,
or Stuffit (any version) to decode it.

Run the program, open the file, save the resulting new file somewhere.  This
will be given the extension '.sea' for Self Extracting Archive.  Now double-
click on this, and it will unpack itself.

Phil Taylor                         |        MRC Reproductive Biology Unit
ptaylor at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk              |        Edinburgh EH3 9EW
mbplt at seqnet.dl.ac.uk               |        Scotland.