scanners

Nigel Eastmond nce at rri.sari.ac.uk
Wed Apr 13 08:51:30 EST 1994

Dr. Peter T. Boag (BOAGP at CA.QueensU.QUCDN) wrote:
: we have had surprisingly good luck with a plain flat bed scanner (8 bit
: Apple) for scanning 8x10" autorads for analysis. They come in under
: control of OFOTO software, sometimes are tweaked in PHOTOSHOP, then
: fragment sizes etc. done in NIH GELREADER. This works well if the
: films are not too dense. If they are, it helps to replace the cover
: with an inverted x-ray film lightbox or even a projector beam. But
: the reflected light mode works quite well. I tried some scanning of
: clinical x-rays and ultrasound films with my brother and we could
: get ok results, but often grey scale retention was poor. I saw a
: TV show the other night where x-rays of show dog hips were being
: scanned by the AKC and communicated to a vet radiologist who read
: the films on a graphics workstation. It looked like perfect
: replicas on the remote screen, but I expect we are talking big bucks
: for such capability.

NIH Gelreader?  What's that?  How do I get it?  Am I un-necessarily
struggling with NIH Image 1.52 when there is a better alternative?

N.C.Eastmond  nce at uk.ac.sari.rri