Seeking "PAUP" Phylogenetic Analysis

Joe Felsenstein joe at
Thu Apr 14 19:12:09 EST 1994

In article <2ojpos$172n at> mrr at (Mark Riordan) writes:
>Greetings.  I am looking for a program named "PAUP", which
>stands for Phylogenetic Analysis Using Parsimony.  The program
>was written by David Swofford, but he no longer distributes it.
>I used Archie to locate paup on the Internet, and found an old
>copy at  However, I would like to have version
>3.0 or greater.  Does anyone know where I could find a more
>recent copy?

PAUP is not distributed for free except by its author.  It is my
understanding that he cannot distribute it at the moment for irritating
but fixable legal reasons and is working on a new version that he can
start selling again soon.

If there is a old copy at the site you mention (whose name I have obscured)
it is an illegal copy.

 Internet:         joe at     (IP No.
 Bitnet/EARN:      felsenst at uwavm