Lane finding software

John Mack jmack at pipeline.com
Tue Apr 19 22:11:06 EST 1994

In article <1994Apr19.102755.4234 at tower>, afc at gnv.ifas.ufl.edu (Andrew
Cockburn) wrote:

> I doubt that either one is capable of the sort of accuracy and checking
> that you specify.  I have seen both demonstrated, and while they do a good
> job, a poor gel will usually confuse them.  They also both require a human
> to tell them where the top and bottom of the gel are and how many lanes there
> are.  If you always ran the same gel setup, you could automate this.

Two years is a long time. Perhaps their algorithms have gotten better. PDI,
I know, is converting their UNIX SW to PC and MAC (probably not PowerPC
tho).

The quest for complete automation is noble, but where does one stop? For
example, how many high-tech people-years are necessary to create a
completely automatic (whatever that is) algorithm as opposed to a nearly
automatic one that requires some low-tech human intervention? It seems that
perfect automation is impossible UNLESS the gel setup IS standardized. Even
then there will always be those times when you step just outside the
envelope and wham! the software chokes!