alternate mosaic entry to iubio archive

Jerry Learn learn at smaug.ucr.edu
Fri Apr 22 20:47:57 EST 1994

steffen at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu (David Steffen) writes
>In article <Coo4DE.n0q at usenet.ucs.indiana.edu>
>    gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) writes:
>>If you have a view on gopher+ versus mosaic/http/html/www for use
>>in biosciences information services, please feel free to comment here
(A whole bunch of stuff about gopher vs. www, that I don't wish to comment
on.)

>3) The most recent WWW host I would have liked to use said explicitly
>that it was only compatable with clients that supported "forms", which
>they noted does not include the Mac client, and which I suspect does
>not include lynx.

The latest versions of lynx (Versions 2.0 and later, I believe) *do*
support forms.  I am not convinced that lynx offers a better user
interface than curses-based gopher, but if you would like to give it a try,
It is available for a number of Unix platforms and VMS at ftp.wustl.edu in
/packages/www/lynx/lynx2-0-12.  Also the next version of Mosaic for the Mac
(2.0, not released yet!) will include forms support.  The folks at NCSA
claim that they are working on it.

---
Jerry Learn

Dept. of Botany & Plant Sciences | learn at smaug.ucr.edu | LEARN at UCRVMS.BITNET
University of California         | (909) 787-4673      | FAX: (909) 787-4437
Riverside, CA  92521  USA