Custom Data Acquisition

Bradley K. Sherman bks at s27w007.pswfs.gov
Thu Apr 28 12:03:44 EST 1994

In article <2pon6hINN28s at topdog.cs.umbc.edu> mikeg at cs.umbc.edu (Mike Grasso) writes:
>Our question is this: What are the tradeoffs between using a data
>acquisition system and custom software development and when would
>you use one over the other ?

A turnkey data acquisition system is undoubtedly the right
choice if it aquires the data of interest in a manner that
is consistent with your research.  Around here though, as
soon as the protocols and types of data are regularized
the research is finished and it's time to move onto the
next project.

I cannot even conceive of the "perfect" data aquisition system
but I suppose it would be resemble a person who is a keen observer, is
always in the laboratory and thrives on errorless typing.

    --bks

--
Bradley K. Sherman               P.O. Box 245
Computer Scientist               Berkeley, CA, 94701
Institute of Forest Genetics     Internet: bks at s27w007.pswfs.gov