[?] UNIX sequence editor [?]

Robert Miller - EECS rmiller at ren.eecs.wsu.edu
Wed Aug 3 10:30:43 EST 1994

In article <31ni4dINNsuf at sat.ipp-garching.mpg.de> krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de (Cornelius Krasel) writes:
>Eric Cabot (ecec at quads.uchicago.edu) wrote:
>: I agree with Brian Fristensky's comments regarding GDE. It is a
>: great application. The main problem regarding GDE, though,
>: is that it requires X-windows, to which many, if not most,
>: of us do not have access.
>
>Fortunately, with the advent of Linux, this is not longer true. Linux
>is a UNIX-compatible operating system for 386 and 486, running Xwindows
>happily with >= 8 MB of RAM. If you have a PC in your lab and about 100 MB
>of free space on your hard disk, give it a try!

 Actually, the problem with GDE is that it requires XView, a widget set that is
public domain but doesn't quite run on every Unix around.  tkDCSE is a nice effort
as well, but source code is not included -- so it's only for sun, sgi, and vaxen.

Tom Flores has a nice product called DisGUIse, runs under Tcl/Tk (which does
seem to run on most Unices, full functionality coming soon for Pcs and Macs),
and includes a sequence editor as an example application.  Should be out in
September, I'm told...

					rob.

rmiller at bsm.bioc.ucl.ac.uk