NetEntrez crashing Sun X!

Jerry Learn learn at smaug.ucr.edu
Tue Aug 9 11:45:36 EST 1994

In article 34058 at hulaw1.harvard.edu, robison at lipid.harvard.edu (Keith Robison) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.  Sometimes
>when I attempt to start NetEntrez on my Sun (1+), it crashes out
>the window server (olwm).  The problem seems to have some correlation
>with what I choose for foreground & background colors, and perhaps
>with whether I've run other software first (Mosaic using up
>my color map?).  I've also had some other X software do this,
>and a colleague just had it happen on their machine with Entrez.
>
>Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?  I apologize for
>the sketchy details, but I haven't had the patience yet to try
>to exhaustively investigate this.

Keith,

I've had similar problems, but they are nearly so intermittent as to defy
description.  About a year ago when I switched from olwm to olvwm (OPEN LOOK
virtual window manager), it very consistently crashed the window manager.  If
I used olwm it would work.  I contacted Jonathan Gold at NCBI and he provided
some sort of fixed version of the Sun Nentrez binary.  I seem to remember
display crashes similar to yours since then, but as I said they were
intermittent.  My recollection is that they might have been related to color
allocation.  The only other X software that I have seen behave this way was
when I recently tried running BoB (the Blast output Browser, also from NCBI).
The program crashed due to a configuration problem (mine, not theirs) and
brought down olvwm with it.  Once I fixed my configuration problem, it
worked fine.

If there is a bottom line to this discussion, it might be to contact the folks
at NCBI.  They might have a better line on such intermittent problems, since
they are dealing with so many users.  I have always found them very helpful.

---
Jerry Learn

Dept. of Botany & Plant Sciences | learn at smaug.ucr.edu | LEARN at UCRVMS.BITNET
University of California         | (909) 787-4673      | FAX: (909) 787-4437
Riverside, CA  92521  USA