Genetics software via gopher (help)

Keith Robison robison at
Mon Aug 22 15:54:39 EST 1994

Larry Hale (lhale at UPEI.CA) wrote:
: Greetings, all.

: I've just been introduced to the Genbank searches using blast via a gopher.
: I'm now wondering whether sequence analysis (esp. identifying restriction
: sites and potential ones) can be done over the gopher as well. Is the Univ.
: of Wisconsin Genetics Computer Group package available this way? Any other
: similar packages?

: Thanks for any info you can give me, Larry Hale
: 	Biology Dept., Univ. of Prince Edward Island

Go check out the gopher at  Don Gilbert's SeqApp
and its succesor SeqPup are up the alley you describe.

For GCG software to be available via this route, your local site would
have to set it up, as GCG is a commerical package and can't be
freely distributed (or its services).

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Department of Genetics / HHMI