PowerPC (fwd)

Justin Diachun diachun at arris.com
Fri Dec 9 22:19:34 EST 1994

In article <Pine.3.85.9412091412.A27447-0100000 at fox.cce.usp.br> mdamarin at FOX.CCE.USP.BR (Mozart de Azevedo Marins) writes:
>Hi there,
>          We currently use in our lab. PC computers, but we are
>considering to buy a PowerPC which could run Mac and PC programs. Does
>anybody who has it can tell me how really eficient the machine is for
>running both softwares ?
>            Thanx...Mozart

Only a handful of programs are taking advantage of the "native mode"
of the PowerPC chip so far.  But this will quickly explode.  There is
somewhere near a 10x speedup on some, such as the Strata Studio
graphics rendering software.  Also, I only know of software that
emulates a 386pc right now.  But I have heard that a hardware board
with a real 486 chip will plug in to the Power Mac 6100 (only) and
cost about $800.  Not bad if it can work as advertised, using all the
same hardware peripherals for PC applications.  Hopefully I'll be able
to evaluate one soon.

Justin Diachun
diachun at arris.com
System Administrator