PowerPC (fwd)

Justin Diachun diachun at arris.com
Fri Dec 9 22:19:34 EST 1994

In article <Pine.3.85.9412091412.A27447-0100000 at fox.cce.usp.br> mdamarin at FOX.CCE.USP.BR (Mozart de Azevedo Marins) writes:

>Hi there,
>          We currently use in our lab. PC computers, but we are
>considering to buy a PowerPC which could run Mac and PC programs. Does
>anybody who has it can tell me how really eficient the machine is for
>running both softwares ?
>            Thanx...Mozart

Only a handful of programs are taking advantage of the "native mode"
of the PowerPC chip so far.  But this will quickly explode.  There is
somewhere near a 10x speedup on some, such as the Strata Studio
graphics rendering software.  Also, I only know of software that
emulates a 386pc right now.  But I have heard that a hardware board
with a real 486 chip will plug in to the Power Mac 6100 (only) and
cost about $800.  Not bad if it can work as advertised, using all the
same hardware peripherals for PC applications.  Hopefully I'll be able
to evaluate one soon.

--
Justin Diachun
diachun at arris.com