MS WORD 6.0

Jason L. Buberel jbuberel at uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 12 13:46:01 EST 1994

In article <3chsl4$gv6 at ixnews1.ix.netcom.com>, zeroth at ix.netcom.com
(meksikatsi) wrote:

> In <jbuberel-1012941115410001 at holzwarth3.life.uiuc.edu>
> jbuberel at uiuc.edu (Jason L. Buberel) writes:
>

> >Micosoft couldn't design a human-computer interface if their lives
> >depended on it.  Have you ever tried using windows?  If you go from
> using
> >a Mac to usign Windows, you know exactly what I'm talking about.  If
> you
> >think their products stink, which I do, look at WordPerfect 3.1, or the
> >new release of Nisus Writer.  Both provide excellent interfaces, far
> >superior performance, and you don't feel guilty about supprting such an
> >Orwellian company.  :-)
> >
> >-jason
> >
> >================
> >Jason L. Buberel
> >Graduate Student
> >Nueroscience Pgm
> >U of Illinois-UC
> >================
> >

> I think you are exactly backwards in your analysis of Microsoft software
> products, the first evidence of which is your referral to the company as
> Orwellian.  Unfortunately, people like yourself constantly complaining
> about Microsoft is the reason that there are rumors floating around
> about monsters in the dark, and Gates' obsession to conguer the
> universe.

Try this:  You can use the Microsoft Class Library (MS's development
environment) to create and distribute software without a royalty fee to
Microsoft...AS LONG AS YOU DONT MAKE A (1) Word Processor, (2) SpreadSheet
or (3) Presentation Program.  Read as:  You can use our one and only
officially sanctioned Windows development environment, free of royalty, as
long as you don't create a competing product.  Are there any such
restrictions on Apple Computer's Development environment, MPW?  NO, there
are not.

Or how about this:  Well guys, our financial management program (Microsoft
Money) is doing poorly.  Quite frankly, it stinks.  What do we do about
it?  Do we hire better programmers, get better user input?  NO!  We BUY
THE COMPANY THAT MAKES THE BEST ONE!  (Intuit).  How many other software
markets have they done this to???

> I worked for Microsoft, as a member of the start-up team, and have used
> their products for years.  I have tried many other products because my
> position provides me with sample copies of most new products.  If any
> company in the software business is Orwellian, it is not Microsoft, but
> Apple.  Just ask any Apple employee.  Use your mind and all your senses
> for analysis, not just your eyes and ears, and all of us would be
> happier.

I was an Apple Employee.

What really bothers me is that Microsoft makes the operating system and
applications for it.  It just seems like there is a conflict of interest
there.  Not that apple has been without fault here (Claris), but I am
skeptical of any company that has cornered the market on the OS and the
applications (although we could probably debate how this was done: talent
vs. cash).  This is despite my opinions on the quality of MS Software.
I'm one of those who doesn't think that 'many features = much improved'.
MS Still can't do good interfaces.

-jason

about that 'Go Away' thing:

Seeing as IBM sas just issued a press release stating that they will cease
to ship PCs with Pentium processors, I think that I'll be around here for
quite some time still.  Watch that Intel stock fall.  However, i do hear
that Windows NT on the PowerPC is quite well done.  :)

Jason L. Buberel
Graduate Student
Nueroscience Pgm
U of Illinois-UC