Mosaic with serial connection.

Reinhard Doelz doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
Tue Dec 13 14:20:42 EST 1994

SPAGNOL at PLAUTO.CSATA.IT wrote:
: Dear netters,
: as a dialup client of an internet server, I can't figure out how to
: make Mosaic or Netscape work for me. They told me I have to be
: connected directly trough a net to the server,otherwise Mosaic will
[...]

A dial-up connection will be a 'serial' connection, therefore, you
run the system as 'virtual terminal' user. The real effect is that your
computer in Milano does nothing else than 'believing' it were a terminal,
without any intelligence other than the purpose of viewing and looking
at data. It does not matter whether you use public domain Mosaic or any
of the commercialized (and occasionally better performing) products,
as both do either speak WWW (i.e. your computer must use the WWW tongue, not
the serial line tongue) or X-windows (i.e. your computer must be able to
display a window generated remotely, in your case, in Bari).

Your option were primarily to run LYNX, which is a textmode browser.
Use this to query http://marketplace.com and read the article on the
(commercial product) TIA.

Option                  Protocol used          Client          Server
---------------------+-------------------+---------------+--------------
Mosaic, Others       | WWW on top of IP  |   PC/Mac      | any on the
                     |                   |  LOCAL C.     | internet
+--------------------+ MUST BE ON INTERNET---------------+-------------
X-Windows            | X-Windoes on top  |  remote system| any on internet
                     | of IP, must con-  |    \ -------WWW----->
                     | nect first        |  remote system| your local PC
                     |                   |       \------------>
+-------------------------------------------------------------------------
LYNX                 | serial; local to  | remote system | any on internet
+--------------------| remote connection |               |
TIA  (via telnet)    |                   |
                     | client is local   |

Maybe this helps.
Just a reminder; there is a newsgroup bionet.software.www which is
committed to WWW in Biology.

Regards
Reinhard

--
 R.Doelz         Klingelbergstr.70| Tel. x41 61 267 2247  Fax x41 61 267 2078|
 Biocomputing        CH 4056 Basel| electronic Mail    doelz at ubaclu.unibas.ch|