FILE input to a WWW httpd, anyone?

Reinhard Doelz doelz at
Tue Feb 15 02:40:50 EST 1994

A couple of weeks ago, there was a discussion on comp.infosystems.www
whether file input is considered to be useful/needed in the POST type
of forms submission. The thread died with the message that it were on the
drawing board.

I need to create a html file which requests file input from a client.
I.e., the mosaic/lynx/whatever client should open a file browser on the
local system and the selected file is to be transmitted as file to the

cut-and-paste with freetext forms input has severe limitations and is
difficult to achieve with (very) large input (talking > 1000 bytes here).

? Has anyone tried at NCSA, CERN or elsewhere to implement this feature ?
  Biologists would very much appreciate this. Thanks for replies in advance!

Reinhard Doelz
EMBnet Switzerland

  |    Dr. Reinhard Doelz     | Tel. x41 61 2672247    Fax x41 61 2672078 |
  |      Biocomputing         | electronic Mail       doelz at |
  |Biozentrum der Universitaet+-------------------------------------------+
  |   Klingelbergstrasse 70   | EMBnet         embnet at |
  |CH 4056 Basel  SWITZERLAND | Switzerland |