GDE update

Steven Smith smith at phylo.life.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 18 08:54:00 EST 1994

GDE update

Available on the Megagopher (megasun.bch.umontreal.ca) is the latest release
of GDE (2.2a).  This fixes a bug in selection mask handling and I/O.  Sometimes
leading characters in an alignment were lost if using a selection mask.

Thanks to a generous equipment loans from Sun and DEC, we will be porting
GDE to the MOTIF this year.  It is hoped that this move will end the
portability problems with trying to move XView to other machines.  I am
also interested in finding sites running Solaris x86 so that we can
support binaries for that os as well.  Any people interested in being involved
in the port or with the ongoing development of GDE, please contact me
at smith at bioimage.millipore.com.

There will be one more release of the XView based version (2.3) which will
include tooltalk support, and ANSI compliance in the source. People who might
be interested in these features should contact me by email.

Sincerely,
Steven Smith
smith at bioimage.millipore.com

-:--:--:--:--:--:--:--:--:--:--:--:--:--:--:--:--:--:--:--:--:--:--:-

The Genetic Data Environment (GDE) is now available via anonymous ftp
to golgi.harvard.edu.  The GDE is a set of programs for multiple sequence
alignment and analysis. The GDE currently runs on SUN SparcStations using
OpenWindows 2.0 or MIT X11R4.  The programs use an expandable user interface
which allows the addition of external analysis functions without any rewriting
of code.  Analysis functions can be written in any language ('C',Fortran, Pascal
Basic, shell scripts), and can be seamlessly merged into the systems menu/
dialog box interface.

The system supports several data types, nucleic and amino acid sequences,
text, and masking sequence, and three forms of color highlighting.  The system
can handle enormous alignments limited only by the amount of virtual memory
on your workstation.

Sequences can be edited under several levels of protection, as well
as by aligned groups.  The system has several external analysis
functions included for such things as automated alignment, searching,
homology recognition, and phylogenetic analysis.

The programs are not in the public domain, but are and will continue to be
available for free.  Distribution includes full source code, and binaries
along with a users manual.