DNA sequence input by voice

Brian Foley brianf at med.uvm.edu
Fri Jan 21 08:58:03 EST 1994

Paula Burch (pburch at cmb.bcm.tmc.edu) wrote:

: Now that microphones in computers have become commonplace, has anyone
: developed a sequence input program that takes advantage of them?
: (Perhaps something for the Mac 840AV?)

: It was a disappointment to discover that the tantalizingly-named
: Digispeak works with a Grafbar! There are several programs that 'speak'
: a sequence as it is typed in or entered by a Grafbar device--what we need
: now is the opposite, something that will listen to a human voice.

	I think it would be OK if the software asked us to say "one two
three four" instead of "A C T G".  This would make it a lot less arror
prone as it does not use three "words" (See Tee Gee) that all sound so
similar.
	I even reprogrammed my talking software because I had a
hard time hearing whether my Mac was saying C or T.