Power PC Stats

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Fri Jul 1 18:49:32 EST 1994

I'm using a quadra 700 with a PowerPC card (that was the first
quadra).  With the PowerPC turned on, running at the speed
of a PowerMac 6100, general non-powerpc software "feels" about
the same as with the old quadra 700.  When I run software
compiled for the PowerPC, zoom-zoom... (meaning from 3 to 10 times
faster than the Quadra).

You don't have to worry about this choice -- your PowerPC Mac
will only get faster (as the software companies update their
programs with PowerPC versions).  Get WordPerfect version 3.1,
due out very soon, which is a "fat binary" that runs native
PowerPC code on such macs.  It'll outperform MS Word (and speed
can be important in a wordprocessor when doing complex formats
or graphics). I don't know if Systat has a powerpc version yet,
but be certain they will soon.

-- Don
-- d.gilbert--biocomputing--indiana u--bloomington--gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu