protein structure & the Mac

lee shekter lshekter at quads.uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 13 10:07:07 EST 1994

In article <Csv0s6.63I at csn.org> rmo at csn.org (Rachel M. Ostroff) writes:

>I'm evaluating sequence analysis software for the Macintosh.  I'm looking
>at MacVector, DNA Star, DNAsis and Gene Works.  I want to analyze protein
>sequences to choose peptides for antibody production.  I also want to
>choose PCR primers.  Which of these packages is the
>best for these two applications?  Are there better ones than these four?
>

>rmo
>Boulder CO

I used MacVector for precisely the purpose you've stated - to design PCR primersfor use in making antibodies. I fed the program my sequence, told it which
range to look in, let it fly and boom, four sets of primers that worked per-
fectly (I checked the primers with that wonderful shareware program Amplify,
just to get a second opinion). I haven't used any of the other modules in
MacVector so I can't comment on them. I've tried DNAsis but was not happy with
it, specifically with how it handled DNA sequences in GCG format (i.e. it had
trouble with them). I don't think it had the capability to generate PCR primers,
though. A friend of mine used DNA Star for making sequence alignments and she
is v. happy with it, but I don't know if it makes primers.

Hope this helps.

--
Lee R. Shekter
Dept. of Pharmacology and Physiology