NetEntrez and Mosaic

Uwe Rossbach 22473mgr at msu.edu
Wed Jul 20 12:32:55 EST 1994

In article <30ipj2$iun at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, <risler at cgmvax.cgm.cnrs-gif.fr> says:

>Hi Cyberspace Gurus,
>
>I have two problems trying to run NetEntrez and Mosaic on my PC, maybe some
>of you have experienced the same and could help me.
>
>My PC is a 486 DX50 with 16 Mb RAM. I run the TCP/IP stack CHAMELEON from
>Netmanage (version 4.0). The WINSOCK.DLL is from Chameleon.
>
>TELNET, FTP and GOPHER run perfectly well.
>
>1) I've installed MOSAIC without any problem and MOSAIC runs fine ...
>   except that I can't save any file. The SAVE and SAVE AS... options in
>   the FILE menu remain desperately dim. Not really a big problem since I
>   can turn to Gopher, but...
>
>2) more troubles with NetEntrez. The IP number of my PC is regularly
>   registered at NCBI. Now, when I want to configure the program with
>   Netentcf and try to connect to the dispatcher, the answer is "can't
>   access the dispatcher", even if the dispatcher address is explicitely
>   its IP number. In the very same room, just behind me, NetEntrez runs
>   fine on a SGI linked to the same local network. In the room next to mine
>   it runs fine on a Mac. Hence I don't think the problem comes from our
>   network or DNS.
>   As usual, Jonathan Epstein from NCBI responded immediately to my help
>   message, but couldn't find the reason.
>
>Have you got any idea?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Jean-Loup

>Jean-Loup Risler                     Tel:  (33 1) 69 82 31 34
>CNRS                                 Fax:  (33 1) 69 07 49 73
>Centre de Genetique Moleculaire      Email: risler at cgmvax.cgm.cnrs-gif.fr
>91198 Gif sur Yvette Cedex  France

The poblem may be the winsock.dll you are using. I could nentrez put to work by not using the
newest winsock.dll. Windows will use the winsock in the windows sub dir
first. You can have a differnt winsock in your TCP sub dir. We are using the
32 bit Mosaic version with the 32bit winsock. So the winsock used by
nentrez and mosaic are not conflicting. UWE 22473mgr at msu.edu