Building Mol Biol programs and the NCBI toolkit...

Tim Littlejohn tim at megasun.BCH.UMontreal.CA
Sun Jul 24 11:17:56 EST 1994

In article <1994Jul22.093634.33671 at hulaw1.harvard.edu> robison at nucleus.harvard.edu (Keith Robison) writes:
>Tony Nugent (tnugent at gucis.cit.gu.edu.au) wrote:

>: 1.  Is the toolbox used as the basis of real programming projects
>:     for molecular biology?
>
>:     A collolary: are the specifications laid out by NCBI used as
>:     the basis for program design work by real software developers?
>
>Yes, though there are only a few examples currently extant.  NCBI's
>Entrez is the best example, but there is also Don Gilberts SeqPup
>(sequence analysis & gopher client).  I believe MacVector now incorporates
>portions of the toolkit.

I agree with Keith's comments- you might also want to have a look at
"clever", the command line Entrez access tool, for another look at how
the NCBI toolkit has been put to use.  clever is available by ftp
and gopher to

	megasun.bch.umontreal.ca

This is also an example of an application that uses the toolkit that is
strictly ascii based (no window management to worry about).

Good luck with your project!

Tim Littlejohn

Tim Littlejohn

E-mail:     tim at bch.umontreal.ca

Snail Mail: Departement de biochimie        Phone: (514) 343-6111, x5149
            Universite de Montreal          Fax:   (514) 343-2210
            C.P. 6128, Centre-ville
            Montreal (Quebec), H3C 3J7
            CANADA