SOFTWARE RIP-OFFS!

Sean David Moore smoore at mail.sas.upenn.edu
Thu Jul 28 10:16:08 EST 1994

Here's a question....:

	Why does it cost so damn much to get software for the PC (or MAC)
to do DNA sequence analysis? --

1)  Complex programs such as AUTO-CAD..far more complex than programs I've
seen for sale commercially..cost 700 bucks TOPS!

2)  Less complex software..such as Word/Excel....Lotus...wordperfect...
again probably as complex as those programs cost a couple of hundred all
together.

- now i realize we're dealing with a small market...
and it does cost quite a bit to have some group of programmers write
software for a topic they have no interest in...

BUT COME ON PEOPLE!------>THREE TO SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!?

GIVE ME A BREAK!  THE WHOLE GODDAMN COMPUTER COSTS LESS THAN HALF THAT!

I think that the software industry is taking advantage of the
grant-writewr's money...sucking up to places such as the NIH for large
contracts...telling them that there is nothing better available....
I SAY PHOOEY!

I think is should be stated in the funding contracts that the purchasing
of such  overly inflated....over-rated software packages be prohibited!

			PERIOD!

Sean Moore

VAMC Philadelphia,
Medical College of Pennsylvania,