GNU and GCC

Cornelius Krasel krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de
Sat Jun 4 10:55:28 EST 1994

Benoit_Hebert at IAF.UQUEBEC.CA wrote:
: JOHANNE at IRCM.UMontreal.CA wrote:
: > This might the be the right user group but may be someone can give me a hit
: > where to get the information.
: > We are a VMS site and want to go on Unix.  Many program that I want to
: > migrate talk about GCC and GNU for compiling.  What exactly is that? Is there
: > any knowned user group for this kind of question.

: the requirements for GCG under UNIX are available from the company. I have
: lent a copy of the document to a colleague (Francois Shareck). The GCG suite
: can be recompiled under UNIX without any problem. Give me a call if you have a
: minute.

Seems something is mixed up here. Johanne writes about GCC and GNU. GNU is
a (recursive) acronym for "GNU's Not Unix" :-). This acronym is, as far as
I understand it, kind of a "trademark" for the Free Software Foundation (FSF)
which provides software with source code, often for free, always under a
certain kind of license (the GPL = Gnu Public License). GCC is the GNU
C compiler. It is available for a lot of platforms (even VMS, I think :-).

Benoit talks about GCG. GCG is a software package for analyzing sequence
data and has nothing to do with GNU or GCC (GCG is an acronym for "Genetics
Computer Group").

--Cornelius (not a computer scientist or involved in computer maintenance).

/* email: krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de                 fax: +49 89 8578 3795 */
/* "People are DNA's way of making more DNA." (Edward O. Wilson, 1975)    */