bioinformatics definition

Reinhard Doelz doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
Mon Jun 6 13:09:36 EST 1994

Christos Ouzounis (ouzounis at embl-heidelberg.de) wrote:

: Sorry, but I would be very interested to know what's the difference between what you
: call bioinformatics and computatinoal biology (!).

... confusion here... I call my unit 'biocomputing'.
Is this a subset or a superset of both bioinformatics and computational
biology ? :-)

Seriously, the biggest problem is that there's no curriculum in either
of them. What about confessing that there are computer people trying
to learn biology and biology people trying to learn informatics.
It might be difficult to apply Mendelian laws here - (a bioinformatics
person is derived from informatics and a computational biologist is a
person derived from the biology side, according to grammar books) but
for me all the terms mean the same - an interdisciplinary approach to
do research in a synergy of two established science branches.

Not that serious,
regards
Reinhard