GCG-menu for VMS and OpenVMS/AXP

Rob Harper harper at convex.csc.FI
Tue Jun 21 02:13:32 EST 1994

In <Crpw38.IH9 at zcias2.ziff.com> idipina at IDiPina.pcweek.ziff.com writes:

>I followed the instructions and did not get any response.  I used email.

>I was wondering what is meant by anonymous ftp. When I tried to connect to
>ftp.embl-heidelberg.de I got connected but couldn't get any file.
>I have to enter a username and a password of which I knew neither.

If you use anonymous ftp then when you contact the remote host and it
asks for a userid then you give the name

anonymous

You will then be asked for a password. Some systems will let you enter

guest

but if they like to log who is coming into their system then you
may have to give your own userID at your.own.host e.g.

idipina at IDiPina.pcweek.ziff.com

as a password. After that you are connected to the remote host
and you can "cd", "dir" and give all the usual commands to get files.

RGDS -=ROB=-

 R. Andrew Harper                  E-mail:          harper at convex.csc.fi
 Center for Scientific Computing   Molbio/software: harper at nic.funet.fi
 Tietotie 6, P.O. Box 405          Telephone:       +358 0 457 2076
 SF-02101 Espoo Finland            Fax:             +358 0 457 2302