Multiple Alignment Software preferences?

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Tue Jun 21 22:13:17 EST 1994

In article <Berry.77.2E06CF54 at biochem.unp.ac.za>, Berry at biochem.unp.ac.za (Ron Berry) writes:
> Hello out there
>
> We would like to buy a suite of sotware for determining multiple alignments
> of protein and DNA sequences.
>
> Please would you be kind enough to let me know of your favourite package?
>
> I have the demo of Cherwell Scientific's MultAlin that does just about all
                                           ^^^^^^^^^
> we need to do, but we feel that the price of US$400 is excessive.

Hmmm, interesting!  Is this any relation to Florence Corpet's *excellent*
public domain program of the same name (Nucleic Acid Res. v16 p10881 [1989])?
Version 3.0 of this is still available publicly (eg. EMBL).  This has always
been my program of choice for protein alignments as it doesn't suffer from
ClustalV's sequence length limitations.  I would be sorry to see this go
commercial the same way as has happened to eg. Oligo (any more word on Mosaic
going commercial yet?).  Multalin will also do DNA sequences but I am not sure
how it matches up to other programs.
	Good hunting!
		Bernard

Bernard Murray, Ph.D.