Multiple Alignment Software preferences?

MANHART, JAMES j0m1742 at
Thu Jun 23 10:37:00 EST 1994

In article <83.78.2E098987 at>, 83 at (Ron Berry) writes...
>In article <1994Jun22.031317.28039 at> bernard at (Bernard Murray) writes:
>>From: bernard at (Bernard Murray)
>>Subject: Re: Multiple Alignment Software preferences?
>>Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 03:13:17 GMT
>>In article <Berry.77.2E06CF54 at>, Berry at (Ron Berry) writes:
>I have had several very kind replies to my query. The concesus of opinion
>rests with GDE from Harvard (a UNIX package, unfortunately),  MACAW from
> for Widows and AeqApp for the Mac (use gopher). Also
>mentioned were ClustalV and DCSE  (from I have been playing
>with MACAW and have found it easy to use.

MACAW is also available for the Mac, it has the same appearance
as the Windows version
and works well, in my experience.  It does have some minor bugs
but I have been able to work around them and I would recommend it to
anyone who wants to stick with their Mac.  In any case, they issue
new versions at a rapid pace and the bugs I encountered may be
fixed by now.

Jim Manhart, Dept. of Biology, Texas A&M University, College Station,
TX 77843-3258, (409) 845-3356, email:  J-Manhart at TAMU.EDU (Internet)