Computer algebra system

Ralph M. Deal deal at HOBBES.KZOO.EDU
Wed Mar 2 12:26:47 EST 1994

> I'm looking for a fairly simple and low cost computer algebra system
> to analyze and manipulate math functions.  Would like it to display
> graphs of polynomials and to handle matrix and vector operations.
> Also it should run on an IBM compatible 486DX with 8MB RAM and Windows
> 3.1.  Any suggestions?  I believe Mathematica will be too much.

I recommend MatLAB by MathWorks which works on many platforms, including
486.  I use it on a Mac and find it extremely useful for just these
tasks. Note that it is NOT a symbolic manipulator like Mathematica or
maple.  It is an elegant front end for the LINPAK and EISPAK routines
(plus more now of course).

	Ralph M. Deal
	Chemistry Dept.
	Kalamazoo College, Kalamazoo, MI 49006  DEAL at KZOO.EDU