Hot software deal (stats etc)

Warren Kovach warrenk at cix.compulink.co.uk
Tue Mar 8 14:37:21 EST 1994

> The new Excel has more statistical functions than I remember SAS or SSPE
> having.  I don't work for Microsoft, nor do I own stock.  I just use
> .
> Leonard N. Bloksberg
> bloksber at pilot.msu.edu
> .

The accuracy of their functions may leave a bit to be desired, though.
I've just starting using Excel 5 and compared a simple linear regression
with the results from Systat.  There was a good bit of difference in the
sums of squares. For instance Excel gave a residual SS of 1501.088 vs
Systat's 1500.565.  The resulting f-ratio was 364.1975 vs 364.300.  I
think I would tend to believe Systat's results more :-)

I've only tried it with this one data set so far, so I can't say how much
of a problem this is.

Dr. Warren L. Kovach              Internet: warrenk at cix.compulink.co.uk
Kovach Computing Services                       CompuServe: 100016,2265
85 Nant-y-Felin                                tel./fax: +44-248-450414
Pentraeth, Anglesey, Wales LL75 8UY U.K.