DNA Strider

phil berger pberger at MARVIN.AG.UIDAHO.EDU
Wed Mar 9 13:16:19 EST 1994

I am curious if anyone out there has had the following problem, and hopefully knows of a
solution:

We use DNA Strider (v1.2) frequently as a stand-alone application to get restriction info. or
ORF information.  This is very convenient for a number of simple tasks esp. when we don't
want to bother with GCG.  In any case, in the recent past Strider has not been behaving.
Usually I get an "Application unexpectedly quit...type 1 error". Occassionally it is a type 3 error.
The application will start, but the error occurs when one tries to open a sequence or any number
of other things.

Of course, none of this happens if the Mac is started with extensions off (and the problem occurs
on several different machines).  So, there is some sort of software conflict, but it has not been
easy to track down.  I went through the process once and thought I had found the offending init,
but this was not, in fact, so.  Also, the problem is not particularly consistent and does not
happen on every occassion.

Thus, if anyone has encountered this problem, I'd like to hear about it.  I am not sure, but it
seems to me that this started happening after a bunch of network-related programs were added
on...

Please send replies directly to me.  If they're of general interest I will post on the net.

thanks in advance
phil berger
pberger at marvin.ag.uidaho.edu
Univ. of Idaho

p.s.  Is anyone aware of a version later than 1.2?  Does Christian Marck have plans to update
Strider?  I've recently looked at all of the commercial packages available, exc. Gene Jockey II,
and they have their weak and strong points.  The biggest weak point is their exhorbitant cost.
And of course the best package is the most expensive...

pb