Ask for Software

Andrew Martin martin at
Wed Mar 9 04:50:13 EST 1994

In article <01H9QBRN53V88WXQI1 at>, 93809626 at CPHKVX.CPHK.HK (LAM FUNG) writes:
|> Dear netters,
|>            Is there any software for scanning the image and then measuring the
|> size of the image.(e.g. diameter/area of the image within specific part)
|> It is because I want to measure the growth of the fungi which are inoculated on
|> the agar surface. My idea is to scan the agar plate surface and then use that
|> image to measure the diameter/area. I am sure this method must be done before.
|> Is there any information about this? Please help me and let me know that!!!!!
|> Thanks in advance!
|> Paul Lam Fung
|> City Polytechnic of Hong Kong
|> E-mail adress: 93809626 at

There's an excellent program designed with exactly this sort of problem in
mind for the Amiga called MicroMeasure. The Amiga is ideal 'cos of its easy
access to Genlocking. Essentially you connect a video camera to the computer
via a Genlock and see the image on the screen. You calibrate a distance over
which you move the mouse and can then use it for interactive measurement.
This can all be done in real time, so by sticking the video camera onto a
suitable microscope, and assuming you have something a bit faster moving
than a fungus, you can measure velocities and so forth. It also allows
measurement of areas, etc., etc.

It's not PD, but, as I remember, it's not too expensive. I also can't
remember who developed it (though I know it was done in a University in
England). I suggest contacting Commodore in the UK, or failing that, I
can probably dig out some information at home.

Dr. Andrew C.R. Martin,         University College London & SciTech Software
INTERNET: martin at     -OR-     amartin at
JANET:    martin at
UUCP:     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmehq!cbmuk!scitec!amartin