Bias in Stats Packages ?

Warren Kovach warrenk at cix.compulink.co.uk
Sat Mar 12 06:57:15 EST 1994

> Simple examination of the display copy of the manual, prior to purchase
> of
> the package, would have shown Excel to not have any information
> concerning
> the algorithms utilized in any of the "statistics" included with the
> software. In light of this simple fact, one has to wonder why the
> package was
> purchased since a user would be required to believe the results in the
> absence of any information other than the allegations of Microsoft.

Excel is a spreadsheet and graphics package, not a statistics package.
The statistics are just an add-on.  I bought it for all its other
capabilities (which are very good indeed).

Dr. Warren L. Kovach              Internet: warrenk at cix.compulink.co.uk
Kovach Computing Services                       CompuServe: 100016,2265
85 Nant-y-Felin                                tel./fax: +44-248-450414
Pentraeth, Anglesey, Wales LL75 8UY U.K.