Cameleon: Sequence analysis

tennant at tennant at
Wed Mar 16 03:24:54 EST 1994

In article <1994Mar15.081629.3973 at>, bclong at (Terence) writes:
|> 	Has anyone ever heard of a sequence analysis/alignment software
|> called Cameleon from Oxford Molecular. What platform(s) does it run on?
|> We are looking for powerful protein sequence analysis software. Any
|> idea what this, and possibly other, package can provide?
|> Thanks in advance.
|> Terence.

Hi Terence,
	we've got the OML packages here, including Cameleon. It's a nice package which does
most of what you'd want in a sequence analysis prog eg the latest version (3.0) has the following
facilities: multiple sequence alignments using Multal, the ability to plot various profiles
(hydropathy, antigenicity etc ), trans-membrane prediction algorithms (!), secondary structure
predictions. We run it on a Silicon Graphics machine, and I know there is a version for HPUX.
You could phone them on + 44 865784600 (UK) or +81 332455004 (Japan).
	A good package I use a lot is 'seqsee', a public domain analysis package from David Wishart.
It is only a first release (v1.2 at the moment), but is quite excellent - most of the
functionality in GCG, including database searching (you've got to have swiss-prot or PIR on
your system), alignments, predictions and profiles are included. I'd recommend getting hold of this
before you go and buy anything. You can contact David on dsw at

	Hope this is helpful,