PAUP on Power Macintosh

Joe Felsenstein joe at evolution.u.washington.edu
Tue Mar 15 21:11:56 EST 1994

In article <15MAR199414335825 at venus.tamu.edu> j0m1742 at venus.tamu.edu (MANHART, JAMES) writes:
>I just ran a comparative test on several types of Macs using
>PAUP 3.1.1 with a data set that contained 34 rbcL sequences
>It is obvious that the Power Mac is not a good platform for
>running PAUP unless you are using it mainly for other things
>and are satisfied with IIfx-like performance.  I understand that
>David Swofford is working on a Unix version of PAUP and if that
>is the case, PAUP users who will be analyzing large data sets
>should probably save their money and wait for that option.

I think there are, or will be soon, native mode compilers for the Power Mac
that can compile C programs for System 7 for the Power Macs, using all the
usual Toolbox calls.  If so, Dave Swofford can just take his existing code,
recompile with one of those compilers, and with that executable version
(which would have little development cost) you should see a substantial
increase in performance with no sacrifice of features.

-----
 Internet:         joe at genetics.washington.edu     (IP No. 128.95.12.41)
 Bitnet/EARN:      felsenst at uwavm