Bioaccelerator

bionet at cgmvax.cgm.cnrs-gif.fr bionet at cgmvax.cgm.cnrs-gif.fr
Thu Mar 17 09:16:58 EST 1994

>Anyone know anything about
>
>                           BIOACCELERATOR from Compugen (?)
>
>	I have heard that there is a dedictated hardware product that can
>increase the speed of a fasta and/or profile search by interfacing with
>GCG's package, presumably acting like a search engine processor.
>
>Does anyone know about this product or in fact have one?
>I would be glad to hear more information about it, and in fact have not heard
> of "Compugen"..any one know more about this company?

Here is a copy of a recent annoucement on EMBNET. Hope it helps.

Jean-Loup

Dear EMBnet  members.
We are happy to inform you that according to the SC  decision we are open
for all the EMBnet members the new E-mail server  bicserv to evaluate the
BIOCCELERATOR hardware and software facility at Weizmann Institute of
Science, Biological Computig Devision, Israeli National Node.

           Announcement: BIOCCELERATOR E-Mail Server

An E-mail server for the Bioccelerator is now available. To access the
BIOCCELERATOR send a properly formatted message to:

                bicserv at sgbcd.weizmann.ac.il

Writing help in the message body or sending an empty message will cause
the E-mail server to send a help file.
The available services are Smith-Waterman and PROFILESEARCH (Gribskov et
al.) data base searches.

The BIOCCELERATOR software is based on the Sequence Analysis Software
Package of the Genetics Computer Group.

For obtaining more information and help please contact:

Leon Esterman, Israeli National Node
E-mail: lsestern at weizmann.weizmann.ac.il
Tel. +972-8-343934

DESCRIPTION

The BIOCCELERATOR, a product of Compugen LTD., accelerates sequence
analysis functions such as Smith-Waterman database searches and Gribskov
et al. Profile Searches, 100 to 1000 times relative to high-end
workstations.

The BIOCCELERATOR is a SCSI peripheral and connects to Silicon Graphics
or SUN workstations via a standard SCSI port.

The product is fully compatible with the GCG package and is transparent
to the user except for speed enhancements.

The BIOCCELERATOR currently supports PROFILESEARCH and Smith-Waterman
database searches. FASTA, TFASTA and PileUP are under development.