DNA Translator

Doug Eernisse Doug_Ee at um.cc.umich.edu
Thu Mar 17 23:07:32 EST 1994

In article <2mabcf$35f at gondor.sdsu.edu>
Hirdeypal S. Bhathal, hsb at ucssun1.sdsu.edu writes:
>Hi netters
>
>		What is DNA translator? How can I get this. Thanks.

This is part of my package of utilities in the form of HyperCard 2.x stacks.
They are available as freeware for noncommercial any uses.
The stacks and supporting documents are at ftp.bio.indiana.edu
in  molbio/mac/dnastacks_1_n_2.hqx

    "DNA Translator" is a stack that contains three separate parts.
Codon cards construct graphs of codon usage data. Gene mapping cards display
mitochondrial, chloroplast, or user-supplied genome maps. Utility cards are
workbench of conversion or analysis tools for multiple sequence data files.

   "Aligner" is a stack specialized for display and manual editing of aligned
sequence data. It can (slowly) color alignments in interesting ways -- more
useful for visualization, primer design, and slide-making than for use during
manual alignment. For example, what other program can color DNA triplets
in an alignment according to amino acid coding or amino acid properties?

Published Description of Version 1.0 (current version is 1.0n2)

Eernisse, D. J. 1992. DNA Translator and Aligner: HyperCard utilities to aid
phylogenetic analysis of molecules. Comput. Appl. Biosc. (CABIOS) 8: 177-184.

The package is admittedly eclectic but has some very interesting capabilities
once you figure out the somewhat opaque interface. It was never intended
as a complete set of tools, but rather a way that I could do research in
conjunction with PAUP and various molecular analysis software. Let me know
what you find helpful because I am in the process of reprogramming some
of the same functionality into a stand-alone application (in C).

Doug Eernisse