GeneJockey (Once more, with feeling!)

Dr. P.L. Taylor ptaylor at crc.ac.uk
Fri Mar 18 13:34:28 EST 1994

Let's see if I can get this message to go intact this time...

Cornelius Krasel (krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de) wrote:

>Dr. P.L. Taylor (ptaylor at crc.ac.uk) wrote:
>(about GeneJockey)
>
>: The demo on Heidelberg.de is VERY out of date.  Please call one of the above
>: numbers for a free demo (2x HD disks).
>
>Is it possible to deposit a more recent version there? I like the idea to
>get demo programs by anonymous ftp.

Yes, it's a good idea, however there are a number of problems:
First its big, >2.5 Mb before compression.

More seriously, GeneJockeyII uses a system of file references to tie its
files together.  These consist of the file name, plus a couple of special
symbols which can be embedded in any text.  When reading the text, the user
can open the file(s) referred to by selecting the file name(s) and hitting
sequencing projects which may involve hundreds of files.

I have used this system in the demo, so when you are reading the instructions,
you can call up appropriate files to illustrate the function being demonstrated
very simply.  The file references in the ReadMe file all refer to files which
are supplied on a HD floppy, and the demo should be run with the floppy in
the drive if you want to take advantage of this.  The floppy itself cannot
be copied by dragging it's contents to another disk as the file references
won't be recognised.  So, if I upload all this, I'll have to make an image
file from the demo floppy, and anyone who downloads it will need to use
Apple's Disk Copy utility to re-create the original floppy.

If your Mac is a recent machine with a built-in CD-ROM drive you will have
Disk Copy on the System CD supplied with the machine.  Otherwise you can
probably get a copy from ftp.apple.com.

I'll do it next week.

Phil Taylor                         |        MRC Reproductive Biology Unit
mbplt at uk.ac.dl.seqnet               |        Edinburgh EH3 9EW
ptaylor at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk              |        Scotland.