Looking for a good Unix Editor

Andreas Helke andreas at orion.mgen.uni-heidelberg.de
Sat Mar 19 16:21:35 EST 1994

Philippe-Alexandre Gilbert (pagilbert at cti.ulaval.ca) wrote:
: I'm looking for a good Unix text editor for Unix (better than vi !!!). It
: will be install on a sparc 1000 on Solaris 2.3 for a group of GCG users
: moving from Vax. They were using "edit" on Vax. Anything similar or better
: ?

There is elvis a somewhat more user friendly vi clone. Then joe, which
is a Wordstar clone and therefore especially suitable for PC users. These
are free and available as source code. On the convex where I use gcg, there
is a clone of the Vax edt editor. I do not know the status of this program.
Then there is of course emacs which can look like something else if it gets
configured appropriatly.

Andreas Helke

Institut fuer molekulare Genetik, Universitaet Heidelberg
Im Neuenheimer Feld 230
69122 Heidelberg