Looking for a good Unix Editor

Andreas Helke andreas at orion.mgen.uni-heidelberg.de
Sat Mar 19 16:21:35 EST 1994

Philippe-Alexandre Gilbert (pagilbert at cti.ulaval.ca) wrote:
: I'm looking for a good Unix text editor for Unix (better than vi !!!). It
: will be install on a sparc 1000 on Solaris 2.3 for a group of GCG users
: moving from Vax. They were using "edit" on Vax. Anything similar or better
: ?

There is elvis a somewhat more user friendly vi clone. Then joe, which
is a Wordstar clone and therefore especially suitable for PC users. These
are free and available as source code. On the convex where I use gcg, there
is a clone of the Vax edt editor. I do not know the status of this program.
Then there is of course emacs which can look like something else if it gets
configured appropriatly.

Andreas
-

Andreas Helke

Institut fuer molekulare Genetik, Universitaet Heidelberg
Im Neuenheimer Feld 230
69122 Heidelberg