Looking for a good Unix Editor

David Mathog mathog at seqvax.caltech.edu
Mon Mar 21 12:45:00 EST 1994

> : I'm looking for a good Unix text editor for Unix (better than vi !!!). It
> : will be install on a sparc 1000 on Solaris 2.3 for a group of GCG users
> : moving from Vax. They were using "edit" on Vax. Anything similar or better

What you want is JED.  It does a decent EDT "change" mode emulation - the
keypad commands all work - but no "line" mode emulation.  This should make
the transition from VMS to Solaris 2.3 a little easier for them.  JED has a
bunch of other nice feature's, not least of which are unlimited undo's,
emacs emulation, and even wordstar emulation.  Check it out.  I got mine
from FTP.SPC.EDU, probably it is also available elsewhere - try "Archie."

Good luck,

David Mathog
mathog at seqvax.bio.caltech.edu