Looking for a good Unix Editor

John Woods eanv20 at castle.ed.ac.uk
Mon Mar 21 03:53:10 EST 1994

>Philippe-Alexandre Gilbert (pagilbert at cti.ulaval.ca) wrote:
>: I'm looking for a good Unix text editor for Unix (better than vi !!!). It
>: will be install on a sparc 1000 on Solaris 2.3 for a group of GCG users
>: moving from Vax. They were using "edit" on Vax. Anything similar or better
>: ?

It depends what you want. If you want a do-everything editor, you can
hardly do better than Emacs.  It's a huge distribution that compiles
on most systems simply by typing the commands `configure' and `make'.
It takes several Mb of storage space, and it is a bit of a
processor-hog, leading some to say that it is not an acronym for
Editor MACroS, but Eight Megabytes Are Constantly Swapping.  But *I*
couldn't be without it.  It has a number of modes for different
documents, programming languages, TeX etc, and a number of extremely
clever add-ons --- ange-FTP for one.  Give it a try.

				... John Woods
--
"
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit (Virgil)