Bioreactor (fermenter) modeling software

Jeffrey Atkinson jatkin at spartan.ac.brocku.ca
Tue Mar 22 14:01:10 EST 1994

   This past school year I taught a third year univeristy course in
Biorector Dynamics, essentially involving the kinetics of microbial and
fungal growth, mass transfer, fluid behaviours, power requirements, etc.,
that is, all the things necessary to know to make a biotech process come to
life.(!)

   We used two software packages:  Basic Biochemical Engineering by Henry
Bungay and BioPro Designer from Intelligen, Inc.  The first was simple and
straightforward, and not a bad teaching tool, but the Mac version was not
loved by the students because of inferior graphics and skewed text.  The
second is very powerful, but too complex (overall process modeling and cost
analysis) for students at this level.

   Does any one know of any other software that can model simple things
like microbial growth, given the substrate concentrations, specific growth
rates etc?  A first-rate package would also include dilution rates in
continuous process, inhibition by substrate and products, sterilization
rates, O2 transfer, viscosity, power requirments etc.  A Mac compatable
package would be best.  If anyone has any suggestions or hints I would
greatly appreciate hearing from you.

			Many thanks,						Jeffrey