mac drawing programs

Michael D. Baron michael.baron at afrc.ac.uk
Tue Mar 22 10:32:22 EST 1994

Dear netters
Recently posted on info-gcg:

To which J.Parkill at bham.ac.uk replied:

>There is a cure for this problem, but only for those using MacDraw Pro (I'm
>using version 1.5v1)

>Under the "Layout" menu, chose "Preferences..."
>Within the preferences dialog, choose "Printing".
>At the bottom is a pair of Radio Buttons for "Standard character placement"
>or "Precise character placement"

>Clicking "Precise character placement" should print the character exactly
>the way that they appear on the screen.

Having used Mac Draw II, Mac Draw Pro, Claris Works (versions 1&2)
Claris Impact and Cricket Draw (version 2), all these programs seem to
give the same result, i.e. that a drawn object aligned with some
characters on the screen does not print in the same relative position,
unless the alignment is done at the nominal 100% magnification,
or whatever zoom level the printer uses (e.g. my old PaintWriter uses
250% as its base, condensing the result to get a better typeface).
In some programs the effect is more marked than others. It does not
seem to be related to printing, as you can get the same effect by
zooming in, doing the fine placement of the box/line/arrow/whatever,
and zooming out again to 100%: things won't look quite the same.
The problem also appears if you try to align characters in two text
objects, especially at the right hand end of the text objects. I have
had the same effect using Freelance-For-Windows, a PC program, so it
isn't just Macs.

I would be *very* interested to know if there is a solution to this
problem, which seems to be related to the way the programs "magnify"
text.(BTW, True-type fonts were used in all my work, but I seem to
remember having the same problem with the Mac years ago when I had
System 6 and bit-mapped fonts; I also tried removing the TT fonts and
forcing the programs to use bit-mapped fonts - it didn't help).

Neither Claris (according to the first posting) nor CA (who make
Cricket Draw) had any idea; it's probably only us looney molecular
biologists who try to do things like this.

Regards,

Michael D. Baron
BARON at AVRI.AFRC.AC.UK			Institute for Animal Health
Fax: INT+(0)483 232448			Ash Road, Pirbright
Tel: INT+(0)483 232441			Surrey GU24 0NF, U.K.