SAS, SPSS, or Systat?

Vernon Keenan vern at BioData.COM
Tue Mar 22 18:23:46 EST 1994

In article <2m277v$5rq at emoryu1.cc.emory.edu> Jeffrey  Nipp,
jnipp at cc.emory.edu writes:
>We have access to site liscenced copies of the windows versions of SAS,
>SPSS and Systat.  We are looking for an easy to use stat package which
>will handle clinical research studies with tens to hundreds of patients
>and multiple variables.  I am nearly statistics illiterate, and the rest
>of the lab is not much better, so HELP facilities are a big plus as
>well.  Any suggestions on which package would be best?  From looking at
>the manuals, Systat looks to be the easiest to use, but we'd like to
hear
>it form someone who knows what they are talking about!  :)

In the commercial, i.e. pharmaceutical and biotechnology, world SAS is
the _only_ package that FDA feels comfortable with. Another advantage of
SAS is the plentiful availability of biostatistical consultants who know
the package.

If you're not doing a new drug study for FDA reporting, then go with
Systat. Good Macintosh programs for survey statistics and epidemiological
work are StatView and Data Desk.

Vern
| Vernon Keenan                  | Voice:    415-513-8940     |
| President                      | Fax:      415-312-8086     |
| BioData, Inc.                  | Internet: vern at BioData.COM |
| 1826 S. Grant St. Suite 620    |                            |
| San Mateo, California 94402    |                            |