mac drawing (mixed text and boxes problem)

poole poole at lifesci.ucsb.edu
Tue Mar 22 14:39:04 EST 1994

> Having used Mac Draw II, Mac Draw Pro, Claris Works (versions 1&2)
> Claris Impact and Cricket Draw (version 2), all these programs seem to
> give the same result, i.e. that a drawn object aligned with some
> characters on the screen does not print in the same relative position,

I've also wondered about this problem for years. The problem gets worse
the farther away the drawn object is from the upper left corner of the
text box. When you want to publish a long nucleotide or protein
sequence with certain areas highlighted with boxes or underlines, this
problem is maddening. Freehand has been less prone to this than other
programs for me. With Freehand 3.0 and System 7.1, although the screen
alignment is off at "normal" magnification, registration is correct
when you zoom in two levels or so. Turning ATM on or off makes no
difference, nor does use of Truetype fonts, or any other measure I've
ever tried.