Reference Manager

Dr. James Waddell wadde001 at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Wed Mar 23 11:59:14 EST 1994

On 18 Mar 1994 08:26:06 GMT, Hendrik Eberhardt wrote:

>We are looking for a reference managing program for a number of the staff in
>the institute were we work. The package can be on the market ($), freeware/
>shareware etc etc.. Where can we find a package like this....
>It should be able to do standard referencing, and be able to output the
>reference lists in a usable wordproccesor format.
>
>thankyou
>
>Please reply to
>	FRANCOIS at AGRIC.UP.AC.ZA

              "PAPYRUS"    from:
              Research Software Design
              2718 SW Kelly Street, Suite 181
              Portland, OR 97210
              (503) 796-1368

I just finished looking at a bunch of them, and this seems to be the best
_in_my_opinion_ (for what it's worth). Unlike the others, it comes with
import formats for a large number of on-line and CD databases. (These cost
extra with "Pro-Cite" and "Reference Manager"). It even has a memory
resident part that you can use for searching your database without leaving
your word processor. It can output lists in many word processor formats (I
know that Word Perfect 5.1 amd Ami Pro work, I haven't tried the others.)
If you search your database from within your WP, you can even "cite" in
place and have Papyrus extract your references when you are done.

It is also pretty cheap for single copies and site licenses. (I'm Scottish
by birth :-)

It is easy enough to use once you get used to it, but it does get a little
cutesy from time to time. I have not seen an example of this type of
software that has a really intuitive interface, since most of them were
designed, at least to begin with, by wierd academics like us!

Good luck.
|       Dr. James Waddell           | Phone: (612) 625-3118       |
| Clinical and Population Sciences  | Fax:   (612) 625-1210       |
|  College of Veterinary Medicine   | Office: 385g An Sci/Vet Med |
|      University of Minnesota      |         1988 Fitch Avenue   |
|                                   |         St. Paul, MN  55108 |