mac drawing (mixed text and boxes problem)

Roger Wiegand rcwieg at ccmail.monsanto.com
Thu Mar 24 09:58:22 EST 1994

In article <2mnhgo$9ii at ucsbuxb.ucsb.edu>, poole at lifesci.ucsb.edu (poole)
wrote:

> > Having used Mac Draw II, Mac Draw Pro, Claris Works (versions 1&2)
> > Claris Impact and Cricket Draw (version 2), all these programs seem to
> > give the same result, i.e. that a drawn object aligned with some
> > characters on the screen does not print in the same relative position,
>
> I've also wondered about this problem for years. The problem gets worse
> the farther away the drawn object is from the upper left corner of the
> text box. When you want to publish a long nucleotide or protein
> sequence with certain areas highlighted with boxes or underlines, this
> problem is maddening. Freehand has been less prone to this than other
> programs for me. With Freehand 3.0 and System 7.1, although the screen
> alignment is off at "normal" magnification, registration is correct
> when you zoom in two levels or so. Turning ATM on or off makes no
> difference, nor does use of Truetype fonts, or any other measure I've
> ever tried.

This finally seems to be fixed in the most recent version of MacDraw Pro
(at least if the boxes are in a different layer from the text). In older
versions it was important to turn off Text Smoothing (and maybe graphics
smoothing as well) in the page setup menu. It was not perfect then, but
acceptable.
--
Thanks,
Roger